Our little friend enjoys self-feeding so I wanted to prepare food that encourages and allows her to do so. After reading up a bit, I decided on meatballs, which she can pick with her little hands or practise using a fork.
You will need:
500g minced pork (I used pork because the wet market near my place doesn’t sell beef. A combination of pork and beef would be good)
7 stalks broccoli
Salt, pepper, evoo, corn flour
1. Separate the flower part of the broccoli from the stalk. Add the flowery bits to the minced pork.
2. Chop the onion and broccoli stalk finely.
3. Sauté the onion and broccoli stalk. Set aside to cool.
4. Since I am using block cheese, chop up the cheese to smaller pieces. Add to the minced pork
5. Add the cooled onion and broccoli stalk to the minced pork and crack an egg to the mixture. Mix well.
6. Add salt and pepper to season, corn flour and evoo. Mix well.
7. Once the mixture is a little sticky, roll it into balls.
8. Lightly fry the meatball over some olive oil, till golden brown. You can also bake it in the oven at 180°C for about 20-30 minutes, until the balls are cooked. The time needed depends on the size of your meatballs as well. You will also need to preheat the oven if baking.
Now, this is our little friend’s new favourite food. She kept asking for more! I will be sharing a simple recipe for apple sauce next, which goes really well with these meatballs. Stay tuned!